Monday, June 14, 2010

Not just clean, yoga clean

Still cleaning--spring cleaning--clutter busting, scrubbing on all fours, every nook and cranny kind of cleaning. Have not done this in, well, a really long time. Cleaned all weekend and still going. Late Saturday, working too hard and too late, I succumbed to negative thinking (why am I the only one who cares enough to clean like this, how can we (they) be such pigs, it wouldn't get like this if everyone did more) you know, total negative spinning. It was soooo much harder that way, and the truth is, I'm doing this for me. I am the one who enjoys having things orderly, and I am the one who really needs this right now. Yesterday I was back on track and using cleaning time for positive reflection. So often I resent cleaning and think of it as a waste of my life, but I found that when I let go of that negative spin, my life coach's words popped into my mind, "What if it wasn't like that, what's another perspective," and I realized, cleaning is the perfect time for positive reflection, hours built into every week for focusing thoughts, taking stock, or restoring the mind with the mantram. It's a win/win, not a waste of life. In that way, it's work that can help make happiness happen. Maybe there is a gift in everything we do. With a change in perspective, even cleaning can be an adventure instead of an ordeal. So just to make it fun, I started using yoga poses every chance I got. Scrubbing the kitchen floor on hands and knees I stretched forward mindfully, like in child's pose, rocked back to stretch my lower back when needed, didn't just look up at the clock, came to a full seated twist, both directions, to see what time it was...you get the idea, and it really did make it fun and maybe a little bit more of a workout too. I've done the woodwork, windows, kitchen cabinets, floors, and couch cushions, I've reclaimed, scrubbed and rearranged the deck and reorganized my office and the scrapbooking stuff. I even made my just is box (more on that later) and today I press on with scrubbing stonework in the entryway, more loads of laundry, and reclaiming my bedroom. Looking forward not to just doing but to receiving this cleaning. Yoga cleaning. MK

2 comments:

  1. Just got a funny vision of someone watching me scrubbing and smiling away and them saying, what's wrong with her, why is she so happy all the time! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I needed that. I spent Saturday cleaning until late in the evening. My floors are shining and I felt renewed. Something tells me that the renewal has to do with the fact that, as you so insightfully point out, cleaning is one activity where you really do get one pointed with your attention. If I lose concentration when I shine the floors I get a patch of less-than-perfect shine. I am completely absorbed in sensation while I clean and I am working of being completely absorbed as I practice on the mat just as my teacher recommends. Yoga really is quite the lifestyle. I absolutely love the idea of incorporation poses while cleaning and I an looking forward to cleaning soon. Thanks for the inspiration. I have a couple of unpleasant tasks at work tomorrow. I will apply these principles and see what turns up. I have lots to blog on -- after I finish my ugly tasks I will treat myself to blogging...

    ReplyDelete